Friday, August 19, 2011

Sports Friday: Quick NCAA Thoughts, Hiatus

After reading over the past few week about conference expansion in the SEC, it reminded me of earlier this year when there were thoughts of creating 4 super-conferences, and doing away with the BCS. Anything that gets the latter accomplished is fine by me. The BCS is a joke, and it's obvious why FBS Division I football is the only sport that doesn't determine it's winner in a playoff: Sponsorship money. University AD's Devil's advocates would say, without the money the other 30-plus sports wouldn't have the money to compete. But I say, isn't there a way to have a playoff and sponsors. Like I don't know, maybe have each bowl game sponsor back a playoff game. Hell charge more for the privilege!

There is a dead period in December that is just itching to be used for playoff games. If scheduled right, you could have the championship game on New Year's Day, and avoid pissing off the NFL. Unless a team is flat out dominant, or is the only team to run the table, I will not consider the BCS National Champion a true champion. Even if the winning team wears Blue and White.

One final NCAA thought, I fully support any use of the death penalty in regards to NCAA violations (again, even for Penn State). Even though in some respects the NCAA is a joke, they are still the governing body. And I believe you would only have to do it one time to a BCS school for everyone to get the message. Whether its Ohio State (please God), or Miami, or USC, or eventually the next team Butch Davis coaches, there needs to be a clear message that no one is above the rules; BCS conference or not. Either that or change the rules.

NOTE: This part of the blog will be on hiatus until the special college football kickoff post on Wednesday, August 31st, which will include my first prediction. Also, look for my top-15 every Sunday. It will just list the teams, and a one sentence explanation on their ranking, or other thought. I will wait until the Marshall-West Virginia game is final to post my inaugural rankings.

No comments:

Post a Comment