Tuesday, September 13, 2011

TV Pilot Preview

Ahh, TV pilots. They can either be outstanding or outright terrible. It's true that some fall in the middle, but those aren't ones that we remember.

Don't be fooled, a good pilot doesn't necessarily a good show. There are plenty of examples out there, such as, Life Unexpected. Or even that a show will last for years, such as, My So Called Life.

The best example is a short-lived NBC Drama, The Black Donnellys. It Pilot was far and away the best I've ever seen, and the show kind of nosed dive after that. And before you Lost fanatics scream and holler, I've never actually seen the Lost pilot. OMG, WTF. I know, I know. But even without seeing it, I can admit it probably would be in my top five.

So, Mark, why does a pilot usually mark the high point for a series?

The prevail thought, and the one I agree with, is that the writer has been working on the pilot much longer than they do on the rest of the season's episodes. In theory, they has more time to flesh out the story and take notes from the network and incorporate them before the show airs. There is also more time for re-shoots, and recasting if necessary. The long time period, just like when you create a video game or build a car, allows for most of the bugs to be worked out.

Or, they've told the whole story that's worth telling in one episode. Sometimes there's nothing there for a second episode, so the start throwing shit at the wall and see what sticks. Best example: The Beautiful Life.

So without further ado, here's the list of pilots I will be watch and reviewing (date of premiere and network):

SUNDAY

Once Upon a Time (Oct. 23, ABC) -- Interesting concept with fairy tale characters living in a small town named Story Brooke (I'll wait for you to stop laughing....OK). Reason for watching: Ginnifer Goodwin and Jennifer Morrison. The J/Ginnifers will bring me in, but hopefully the story keeps me.

Pan-Am (Sept. 25, ABC) -- Highly advertised series, probably the most marketed new series (or maybe I watch a lot ABC/Disney programming). More intrigued than excited; probably a watered down version Mad Men. Christina Ricci on TV is enough to make me tune in.

MONDAY

2 Broke Girls (Sept. 19, CBS) -- I love Kat Dennings. That is mainly the only reason I'm giving this show a chance. Of the sorta well known, 'I've seen that girl before but can't place her' Kat Dennings is tied with Krysten Ritter for actress I'll give any show she's in a chance (miss you, Valley Girls).

Hart of Dixie (Sept. 26, CW) -- Rachel Bilson. Rachel Bilson. Rachel Bilson. If you've read my prior post, you'll remember that I miss watching her on TV. Also, I trust that Josh Schwartz will give me at least a watchable season one. After that not so much. The NYC doctor in Alabama is intriguing enough to have me tuned in. Underrated Jamie King as the Queen Bee should be fun.

Terra Nova (Sept. 26, FOX) -- Second most marketed show, so I have to see what the hype is all about. Little known fact, I loved dinosaurs (got the shit scared out of me as an eight-year-old watching Jurassic Park in theaters) and the kid in me wants this show to be good.

TUESDAY

Ringer (Sept. 13, CW) -- Sarah Michele Gellar's return to TV. The twins storyline has a lot of great avenues to go down. Hopefully, it doesn't get too complicated, too quickly. Look for review tomorrow!

New Girl (Sept. 20, FOX) -- If you have iTunes, watch the free preview. Zooey Deschanel is great in this pilot, and the writing is spot on, but I'm skeptical about the male leads. Let's hope they improve as the season rolls along. Definitely worth a season pass if that's your thing.

WEDNESDAY

Revenge (Sept. 21, ABC) -- This seems to be one of those one season and done shows, but the premise is so carnal. People screw her family over, she wants payback. Enough said. Emily Van Camp is too shabby either.

THURSDAY

Charlie's Angels (Sept. 22, ABC) -- Honestly the only reason I'm watching this is because of Minka Kelly. Besides that there's not much interest, unless they surprise me with a great start to the series. My prediction is this will either last forever, or flop by mid-season.

Person of Interest (Sept. 22, CBS) -- Procedural? CBS? Seriously? All kidding aside, the premise is great. A mail has develop a system where he can see when a crime will occur, by spying on specific people. But he doesn't know whether said person is the victim, criminal, or witness. Plus, Jesus is in it, with the evil guy from Lost.

The Secret Circle (Sept. 15, CW) -- Happy to see Brittany Robertson get another show. She suffered from bad series planning and bad writing on Life Unexpected (affair with a teacher, really?). This show is about witchcraft, and the mysterious story and town with a writer from the Vampire Diaries, should equal a great series.

Prime Suspect (Sept. 22, NBC) -- Maria Bello is probably the best actress on network TV this year, and if this series is anywhere near good, she will win a Primetime Emmy. Supporting cast of detectives should allow the story telling to be smooth and well-acted (miss you on Fringe, Charlie). Could be a contender for best drama as well.

FRIDAY

Grimm (Oct. 21, NBC) -- Interesting concept, but those that don't know much about the Brothers Grimm may get lost early on. Freshen up on these stories before viewing. Could be a diamond in the rough for NBC.


A review for each show listed will be posted the day after the pilot. It will contain an info box, a review, a grade for the pilot, and whether or not I will continue to watch (which will mean corresponding reviews). If I don't like a pilot, I will tell you either the situation or the moment that I lost interest. If I like a pilot, I will continue to watch it, and I will have an interest meter at the bottom of each review (not a ratings system).

I hope you enjoy my thoughts, and will read and comment as we weave our way through September's premieres.


No comments:

Post a Comment