Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Not The List You Deserve, But The One You Need Right Now: Nos. 15-11

Final cuts are always tough, whether it's for a sports teams, a job opening, or the last scene in your script that needs to be removed for time. You sit down and evaluate each position, candidate, or line of dialogue to determine if the there's a clear choice. No matter what your decision, you'll either make a person's day or ruin their evening. There is no way to make everyone happy. So you spend way too much time looking at it from every angle, and eventually you make a choice and deal with it.

I knew as I moved up this list I would come across a movie that would make me second guess it's placement. You see, it's never the top of a list like this that is hard, it's that decision between 10 and 11 that tends to be the most difficult.

In people's minds, there's a big difference between top-10 and not top-10. Is it fair that the thing in the No. 11 spot is downgraded because it missed out by one spot? No, but that's what happens. On this list, the gulf between the movies I loved and those I liked is located between 11 and 12.

But nonetheless, I am prepared for the criticism that my choice for No. 11 will bring.

Here we go:


15.

Friends With Kids


Friends with Kids found its way on to my radar because of it's cast, especially Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph. There is a theory I subscribe to when it comes to actors, and if you've read any of my previous posts, you are familiar with this: Good comedic actors tend to be able to handle dramatic roles, but dramatic actors almost always fail in comedic roles. In this film, Rudolph and Wiig only help to enforce my belief in this theory.

The subject matter in the movie is something that will be my reality in the not too distant future, and probably the reason why I connected with it. The story follows a group of friends — two married couples and single best friends — who have reached that point in life where they begin to think about kids.

Adam Scott and writer/director Jennifer Westfledt's characters are life long best friends, who decide to have a kid together. After the baby is born, the movie falls into the typical Rom-com trapping, and is the main reason it only cracked the top-15. Despite a well written, directed and acted dinner scene, in which Wiig shows the ability to do more than funny voices and the Target Lady, Friends with Kids is just too predictable for me.

Release date: March 16th

Reason for ranking: After a strong start, it becomes too much of a generic Rom-com.

Recommendation: See it. If only for the fantastic acting from John Hamm and Kristen Wiig during the dinner scene.

14. 

21 Jump Street


Sometimes low expectations for a movie allows you to enjoy it more than you probably would've if you were looking forward to it. 21 Jump Street made me angry from time it was first announcement all the way until I saw the first scenes of the movie. It's rare that I see a movie that looks like a bad idea, and end up loving it by the time the credits roll. I can't explain exactly why my attitude changed; maybe Channing Tatum is just that sexy.

In all seriousness, the only reason I gave this movie a chance is because I'm a huge fan of Brie Larson, but it was the chemistry between Tatum and Jonah Hill that kept me watching. The script did a great job of taking what was a ridiculous concept and making it funny instead of eye-rolling. Telling the story as a comedy instead of a straight drama was the only way this film works; even if they tried to make it a dramedy, it wouldn't work. The genius of the script is that it knows exactly when to transition from emotional scenes into the gags, and when to end a bit before it goes on too long.

21 Jump Street succeeds where Ted fails. The joke are memorable and very repeatable in a social setting, for example, Korean Jesus. Also, the supporting cast is much better than Ted's, which is the key to any movie's success.

Release date: March 16th

Reason for ranking: Really just a product of better movies ahead of it. It's the best straight forward comedy, that I've seen all year, but laughter alone doesn't get you high on the list.

Recommendation: Buy it. You'll find yourself laughing out loud and the special features are really good.

13.

The Amazing Spider-Man


Reboots are really hit-or-miss. Batman is the prime example of a great reboot, and The 3 Stooges was a terrible, terrible idea. The Amazing Spider-Man falls into the "did it really need a reboot" category. It was only a decade ago that Sam Raimi — in all his upside-down kiss glory — released his first Spider-Man movie, and the sequel is probably one of the best comic book movies of all-time. So why exactly did Marvel decide that they needed to start over again so soon?

Spider-Man 3.

For any one that has seen this movie, you know what I am talking about. All the good that Raimi did in the first two installments, he destroyed in the third one. Whether it was just a bad movie, or it was intentional by Raimi, the franchise needed a fresh start and a better combination than Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst.

While The Amazing Spider-Man is not the trendsetter that Batman Begins was, it does what it is supposed to do: reset the franchise. Andrew Garfield was a much better choice than Maguire, if only because his Peter Parker is much closer to the character I remember as a child. He's more loner than nerd, which I think suits the film better. And Emma Stone was perfect casting. She's is precisely what Gwen Stacey should be: Strong, witty and independent. Hopefully, they stretch out her character arc longer than is expected.

The performances of Garfield and Stone alone would have allowed this movie to make the list, but the support they get from a subtle story and powerful supporting actors, make this an easy choice.  

Release date: July 3rd

Reason for ranking: It wasn't original or epic enough to pass the movies ahead of it. While it is a good movie, there's nothing that stands out about it, except for the acting.

Recommendation: Obviously, if your a Spider-Man fan, you've already seen it, but I'd recommend this for all movie goers because it's not just for comic book fans.

12.

The Cabin in the Woods


The Cabin in the Woods is the most polarizing film on the list. People either love, or absolutely despise it. Now, there are people that I respect their opinions on movies, especially in the horror genre, that fall on both sides of this line. So I was torn before even seeing one frame.

Admittedly, I was probably already biased towards the film because I enjoy everything Joss Whedon does, and he's yet to disappoint me. Somehow I found a way to see this movie "blind" by avoiding all spoilers. I didn't even hear or read a hint about the plot, which is what made it that much more enjoyable.

Now don't take my short review as a sign that there's not much to it — because there's a lot to this movie — rather see it as I don't want to spoil the movie for those that haven't experienced it yet. The script and story were the most original I've seen in the horror genre since Scream.

Release date: April 13th

Reason for ranking: The reason for why Spider-Man was No. 13 is the exact reason why this movie is ranked here: Originality.

Recommendation: See it for yourself. Its a movie you should definitely have on your "seen it" list.

11.

The Dark Knight Rises


Oh, boy.

So, I'll start off by saying this movie is fantastic, but nowhere near The Dark Knight. This is probably the main reason it didn't crack the top-10. It suffers from the opposite problem that 21 Jump Street had because I was really friggin' excited to see this movie, but left feeling slightly let down.

The brilliance of The Dark Knight does more to hurt this movie than it does to help it. Tom Hardy's Bane is far from a transcendent villain like Heath Ledger's Joker, and the surprise twist — while interesting — really didn't add anything to the story.

Christian Bale is once again awesome in the movie, and there should be no question who is the greatest Batman of all-time. Yet, as I mentioned before, there's just something missing from this movie and I really can't put my finger on it. The script is fine, the performances are top notch, the direction and cinematography are great, and it has Anne Hathaway in a cat suit; what else could I ask for.

I spent way more time than was probably necessary trying to find a way to get this movie into the top-10 because I love Batman and Christopher Nolan. Eventually, I decided to look at all of the movies in the top-11 and decide which ones I'd be willing to pay to see in theaters and/or DVD for a second time, and The Dark Knight Rises was the one I was least excited to see again.

Release date: July 20th

Reason for ranking: After seeing it a second or third time, I may regret this ranking, but for now, I'm fine with it. Also, it is so much better than the movies behind it that it's like the Grand Canyon is between them.

Recommendation: 100% see it. Like right after you read this, run out and rent and/or buy it.


No comments:

Post a Comment