Monday, February 13, 2012

Day 33 -- Happythankyoumoreplease






Released: March 4th, 2011

Starring: Josh Radnor, Malin Akerman, Kate Mara, Zoe Kazan, Pablo Schreiber


Writer/Director: Josh Radnor

Description: Captures a generational moment - young people on the cusp of truly growing up, tiring of their reflexive cynicism, each in their own ways struggling to connect and define what it means to love and be loved.

[Review may contain spoilers. Please watch movie before reading, unless you don't care. Most of these films have already been released for a while, so they should be readily available.]

***

It's always a wonder to me how some movies slip through the cracks and never really get the push they deserve. After watching "Killers", I am even more saddened. I understand that marketing is a big part of the reason why these independent movies never get more popular than word of mouth, and that's a shame, especially when most of the films that get attention are crap.

"Happythankyoumoreplease" (yes, it's all one word) is not an earth-shattering indie film, but it's one that deserved a lot more attention than it received. Writer/director/star Josh Radnor's coming of age story in New York is one of the more honest that I've seen in a while. 

A film doesn't need to be raw and "edgy" to be a realistic interpretation of life. There are plenty of people out there who don't become addicted to drugs, or run in shady circles, or are trying to find themselves after a troubled past; these people are usually called boring. But boring doesn't have to equal uninteresting. I believe that the majority of movie goers would relate to the issues and people in this film than would from something "grittier".

Each character has their own way of trying to find happiness in that weird stage of mid-to-late 20s, where you're too old to act like a college student, yet you don't feel old enough to be a full-time adult. Maybe it's because I'm currently navigating this time period that I enjoyed this film more than most. It's like those teen dramas when your in high school or college, which you understand more than most because you in the same place. 

Each story is compelling, especially Annie's (Akerman). She currently dealing with Alopecia, and has attempted to fight the disorder by using humor. Despite her happiness on the outside, she is a much more wounded person than her friends know. Until she finds out that her co-worker finds her beautiful the way she is, and he looks past what she perceives as a disability. 

Akerman turns in a terrific performance, and honestly, it was quite unexpected. She's a lot better actress than I gave her credit for before the film. Maybe subconsciously I critiqued her differently because she didn't look like she normally does, but I hope for my sake that it's more like she finally found a good role to play.

Radnor basically played Ted from "How I Met Your Mother", and he plays it so well that it's not a huge negative. The only change in the persona is that he has slightly more confidence than his TV alter ego. But I was more impressed with his writing and directing. In my experience, it's rare that an actor usually does all three facets well in the same movie. There's usually a weakness, but I really couldn't find one. Not to say he was outstanding or Oscar worthy, but it was a very well done film.

The casting in this move was fantastic, too. Kate Mara is one of the most beautiful and talented young actresses out there, but it hasn't added up to any mainstream leading roles. Whether this is by choice, or a lack of breaks, I hope it happens one day. She could be on the Amy Adams path, where she doesn't get her big break until her early-30s. I'd be remissed if I didn't point out the wonderful dynamic between Zoe Kazan and Pablo Schreiber as a couple at the tipping point in their relationship (to marry or not to marry).

"Happythankyoumoreplease" is a fun movie that will draw every emotion out of you. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you may even scream at the TV when Rasheen get taken away even though you know what Sam did was wrong, but you won't be able to turn it off. The writing is clever, New York looks great, and the characters are well portrayed. It was one of the pleasant surprises that I thank my friend, Anthony, for recommending.

Rating: 7/10 -- Good writing always entertains me, probably more than good direction. Kate Mara melts my heart in every scene, and Malin Akerman makes me want to reach out and hug her character. The theme of the movie really got me, so it may rank lower on your list, but it's one you must watch. This is exactly the type of movie I was hoping to find in this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment